3.23.2014

Self Truths


Sometimes, honesty isn’t easy. 

Actually, I used to believe that the truth was the easiest thing in the world.  When I talked to others, it seemed very easy.  What I have learned is that some people don’t want honesty.   Those people want to see the person in me that they see, not the person in me that I am. Those people want the answer that they hope to hear instead of the one that needs to be heard.   I have now begun to ask, “Do you want the honest answer?”  It is interesting to watch people actually pause, and think, before they answer yes or no.

Over the past years, honesty has become even more convoluted to me.  I have stepped back and watched people openly lie to each other, to me.  It is fluid and "easy" to lie.  Why is that?    It is very upsetting to see how naturally it is for some people to tell a lie, over the struggle of telling something that should be so simple; the Truth.  I have been surprised to find, recently, that one of the most dishonest persons in my immediate world, is myself.   I have had to ask my Self some very hard questions and my answer to the question “do you want the honest answer” has been a lot of… silence.  I have told myself lies for my entire life, it seems; or believed the ones told to me from others or from media and society, and it’s very, very hard to ‘undo’ them.

It is important, though, to embrace the honesty of your Self, to your Self and in your Self.  It isn't easy.  But it is Important.  If you can't trust yourself to be honest with you, who else can you trust?  If you are lying to yourself, why is it important or necessary for others to be honest with you.  You become the example you're setting for others and how others should and will treat you.  It won't be easy.  But the rewards will be great. 

I will be the first to admit, though ... being honest with my Self is the hardest thing I’ve had to do in my life.   But I'm seeing that it has the potential to be the most rewarding.
Do you feel you are honest with yourself?  Be honest.  :)

No comments: