1.16.2014

Behind the Art with Heather

 Hey there! Hope you're having a fabulous week! It's my turn again  to share a "Behind the Art" segment.

Today's layout is this one:







This is my "artsy page." :) I tried out some new-to-me techniques… some I don't normally use in scrapbooking. Some art fun-ness. 

So here is a simple little step-by-step tutorial on how I got my mixed media look to my page.


1. Collage newsprint/book print patterned papers onto a 12x12 piece of card stock using mod podge. Let mod podge dry.
2. Paint a thin layer of white paint over the papers. The thinner the paint is, the more the patterned paper will show through. Let paint dry.
3. Use gesso and stencil to add teardrop designs on top of the paint. Let gesso dry.
4.(not pictured) Add gold gelato and water to add some color on top of your paint.

And that's it!

Something else super fun that I tried on this layout was hand-cut lettering. I free handed all of the letters on my layout. It was so fun mixing patterns from the papers in this month's kit (I'm a sucker for lots of patterns). I sewed through all the letters with a couple of lines of thread to add some texture and it also added a place for the letters to "rest." That way, the letters aren't floating on the page.

EMPATHY- First of all, here is how my journaling reads on this layout:

"I wouldn't consider myself very empathetic, but I do like to listen and be there when someone needs me. I may not have all the answers, but I can listen. Sometimes all you need is someone to be there to talk to. I can do that."

"You're Not Alone" is actually a phrase I took from the song "Cry with You" by Hunter Hayes. That song is really all about empathy. Feeling what someone feels. Being in their shoes. I used that phrase because I want others to be able to come to me for a shoulder to lean on. I am not very good at putting myself into someone else's situation… but I am a good listener. 

I loved the speech bubble chipboard piece from Amy Tangerine's "Cut & Paste" line. I thought the little heart cut out of the speech bubble was perfect. Heart talk. I also used the awesome raindrop stencil on the background. I used it for "teardrops." The song I was mentioning above says, "I'll listen till your tears give out." So that's a couple of things I used as far as symbolism goes on this page.

Bye for now! :)



No comments: