5.24.2013

Weekend Warmup: Is it the Question or the Answer?

Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers.
Rainer Maria Rilke

I've been wondering...is there a way for us to ask a question, maintain curiosity and explore without being focused on the answer? 

Human nature is such that we seem to want closure and certainty. I know that's accurate for me. In terms of personality type, I'm what the Myers-Briggs experts would call a true ENFJ.

Here's a description of this one of sixteen basic personality types defined by Myers and Briggs (click on the link above to read more about this):

Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.


The J in ENFJ stands for Judger - which isn't what it sounds like. I'm not someone who judges others (maybe myself, though!) but I am someone who prefers having things settled rather than up in the air (vs. perceivers who like to keep their options open . Even without all the data in, I'm inclined to make decisions quickly instead of waiting to have more to go on.

As a result I'm someone who might not have the patience to wait for the answers to my questions. Or perhaps I'm someone who wants to avoid the uncertainty of the open question. Either way, I'm sure I could benefit from a bit more of what Rilke suggests above. 

Live my questions - ask the universe about what I don't know (which is a lot) and then live my life, open to the answers, whatever they may be. And whenever they may come.

Sounds like a real challenge for someone who likes her ducks in a row. But I think it's a more authentic way to be given the reality of life. The answers don't always line up with the questions, they don't always show up when you need them, and sometimes they don't come at all.

To practice being less attached to the outcome of events, this might be just the ticket.

What do you think? I'd love to know.

Our CURIOSITY kit is a great tool for exploring some of these ideas. We have just 2 more for sale. Will one be yours? 


Wishing you a safe, happy and love-filled holiday weekend (for those of you in the US) and a sense of adventurous curiosity.







No comments: