4.19.2012

Behind the Scenes with Jen Matott

Behind the Scenes 

I Heart This Family

What prompted you to pick this take on Contentment?
My family is one that is loud, stubborn and loves each other even when we don't always see eye to eye. I wanted to show the tight knit bond between our family but also the imperfection of it all!



Why did you choose this photo?
We were pumpkin picking this fall and I was taking photos of the kids and some with me and one of the kids by doing the whole arm out at length thing... another mom on the hayride asked if I would like a photo with all of us in it. Of course, I was thrilled!  It's rare we are all in one photo together.  I look at this photo and feel warm all over!




What symbolism did you try to bring through your design?
The quilted look of the page was inspired by a quilt I found on Pinterest.  I was totally loving the hexagons and triangles.  I cut 4 hexagons out of different papers and then cut them into triangles. I used the fronts and backs to create a quilt on the page.  I assembled, glued, and stitched with my sewing machine to mimic the fabric quilt look.  I also added droplets of color from the spray onto the background to mess it up a bit to show the "messiness" of family... it's not always clean and simple!  LOL!




How did you feel about the message of the layout?
I love the homemade feel to this layout and the closeness I feel with my kids and husband when I look at this page.  I sometimes want to throttle them but all in all we love each other even with messy flaws and disagreements. I'm content in the overall look and feel of this page.

Why did you choose to show your journaling?
I wanted to clarify the family being NOT perfect but loving all the same. I think the photo shows the family element but I wanted to share a little bit more.




Tell us a little bit about how you feel now that this layout is done?
I love this page!  It's warm and cozy for me to look at.  The way I feel about my family is complex and ultimately it's not perfect but I love them! It's like a quilt, we are connected but worn in areas...

You can visit Jen's blog by clicking here: Art Talk 

2 comments:

Queen Mary said...

This is beautiful! I love it!

thriftycrafter said...

Great, so lovely to see another happily imperfect family, loving the quiliting with all that stitching.