1.18.2011

No Fuss About It...



It's me again, sharing some of the great tutorials from Inside Out.  If I've said it once, I've said it... well... at least more than once (grin), I love the exclusive Design Team content over in our community.  Every month, each member of our design team shares tricks, tips and full-blown tutorials using the various goodies in the kit.  You don't need a kit to get some great ideas from their words of scrappy wisdom.  Check out this fussy cutting tutorial by our very own Diana Kennedy:


Fussy Cutting Your Layouts

This month’s Reflection Kit is full of gorgeous papers that are simply perfect for fussy cutting. The term fussy cutting actually came from quilting and means to cut out a motif or an interesting design.

When I fussy cut I think about how I can create texture or build height and dimension on my layouts. I look at the paper as a whole and pick out elements that would give my layouts details that are extra special.

For tools, I would recommend some small sharp scissors like Cutter Bee and/or an Xacto knife. I keep both on hand as they both serve their purposes for cutting out images or carefully making fine cuts in the paper.

On the Pink Paislee resist paper, I loved the little butterfly that I just had to have on my layout. I also loved the card pattern on the Kaisercraft paper and wanted to have that butterfly motif as part of the layout to create interest and a bit of a surprise!





I cut out one of the cards and the motif inside. Traced it over the butterfly on the Pink Paislee paper and cut it out. I then placed the butterfly underneath the Kaisercraft card design to create a new card.



And here is the final result of how I used the butterfly in my layout!



The Kaisercraft papers give us crafters so many possibilities…one of my more favourite papers are the ones that look like different kinds of ribbons.



Here I just simply pick out what I like and what I am going to use on my layout. I often cut the paper into strips using my paper cutter or fussy cut around the edges of each individual ‘ribbon’.




I know that I wanted to create depth and dimension to my layout and used foam pop dots to create height and layers on the final product.







The 7 Gypsies paper is a fussy cutter’s dream come true! The birds, moths, butterflies and eggs present a unique opportunity to add visual interest to one’s layouts. You can cut them out and use them as embellishments on their own or together to create something entirely new.



This time, I used my Xacto knife to carefully cut the moths and eggs out as the paper and the images are more delicate in nature. A trick on using the Xacto knife when fussy cutting is to always follow the natural movement of the hand and turn the paper as you are cutting to prevent any uneven edges or mis-cuts.








Have fun!

Like Di, I love to look at a piece of patterned paper and find ways to fussy cut the design out of it to pop it off of a different background.  I love some of the tips she shared to make use of this great technique!  My own weird bird phobia notwithstanding, the layout she made is fabulous!  Don't you think?



No comments: