12.27.2010

Ranger Liquid Pearls, A Student's Perspective

Yesterday, the wonderful Diana showed us her tutorial on liquid pearls and various techniques using them.  They were included in our Wonder kit this month and after learning from Diana, I cannot wait to use mine in the various ways she showed us!  Another one of our design team members was also inspired by Diana's tutorial.  Here's Shaina on what she did after viewing Diana's tips and tricks:


Ranger Liquid Pearls - A Student's Perspective

Hi there.  Shaina here.  And let me be the first to tell you that opening my kit and seeing the liquid pearls put me way out of my comfort level.  But this month I thought, “Hey, why not embrace it?”  So that’s exactly what I did.  I turned to our resident ‘technique’ expert, Diana and using her tutorial, I braved the unfamiliar waters. 

Here is what and how I created with Liquid Pearls. 

Now, I love the Mother of Pearl effect that Diana got by combining her Liquid Pearls with a distressing ink.  I unfortunately don’t have any distressing inks.  But I thought that adding the paint directly to the textured cardstock would add a lot of dimension just on its own.  So that’s what I did. 


I applied the Liquid Pearls directly to the textured cardstock.  And I don’t mind getting messy while I’m creating, so I pushed the paint around with my fingers, leaving it heavy is some spots and transparent in others.  Once the paint was dry I built my layout right on top of the cardstock.  Doesn’t that little shimmer really bring out the unique textured cardstock??



Now, on this same layout I decided to try the heavy application on a piece of decorative chipboard.  And it really was just as easy as Diana made it look.  Apply directly from the bottle and use the tip to swirl it around to get full coverage.  Let it dry and voila!  I just love that purple color.



I was really looking forward to seeing what effects I could get by adding water to the Liquid Pearls.  I used a little bowl, about a tablespoon of water and a good blob or two of the pearls and mixed it with a stir-stick.  I gave the chipboard a base pinky color with some colorbox chalk and then using a paintbrush, applied the shimmer right onto the chipboard. 



The little bit of moisture made the top of the chipboard bubble a little bit, but I think it adds a lot of texture and angles for the shimmer paint to bounce off of.  Then on the top of these elements I used the Liquid Pearls in their most basic form to add little drops of dimension.  I like things in threes. 

So there you have it!  A double “teacher/student” tutorial all about the Liquid Pearls that are included in the gorgeous WONDER kit.  We hope that it helps you to try something new, and use your imagination in interpreting the tutorials.  We look forward to seeing what you create! 

I agree with Shaina... show us what you create by joining us over at SFTIO.  You'll find all kinds of inspiration and, once you've created your inspiration, upload your layouts to the gallery.  We'd love to see what you create!  Don't keep us wondering...

No comments: