2.17.2010

Great Tutorial on Altering Prima Flowers

Hey all! Here's a fantastic set of ideas from our own Nancy Doren to help you have more fun and get more bang for your buck!

Altering Prima Flowers
by Nancy Doren















The February Passion kit contains beautiful Alabaster Roses from Prima Marketing. They’re the perfect canvas to try out some fun techniques to make your layouts a little more special!

Start by separating the flowers into layers. This gives you more flowers in different sizes to work with.




You can try...

Stamping

Ink your stamp with dye or chalk ink (pigment ink will not dry sufficiently)



Press the stamp over the paper flower. If you’re using a wood mount stamp, simply press down hard so you get contact with all the layers of the flower.





Spray Ink

Did you know you can make your own spray ink? All you need is a spray bottle and acrylic paint. Mix 2 parts paint to 1 part water and shake to mix.



Spray your flower (make sure you use something to cover your work surface... after it dries, acrylic paint is hard to remove!).



Watercolor + Glitter

I love to use my Prang watercolors on my scrapbooking projects. They add a sheer hint of color and are super easy to use. You can also use any kids’ watercolor set.



Dip a paintbrush in water, then in the paint. Starting at the edge of the petal, brush the color down towards the center of the flower, letting it gradually run out of paint until it fades.



Add a sparkly finish by applying Stickles glitter glue (I used the green Ice Stickles from the Renewal kit) along the edges of the flower’s petals.



Cutting

Snip “V” shapes in the edges of all the petals to give your flower a ruffled look.



Add a Prima center and you’re done!



These are just a few of the amazing ways you can alter Prima flowers. Don’t forget things like masks, distress ink, embossing, and more!







We've got ONE more of these lush, gorgeous kits available...click here to grab yours before they're all gone!



Love,

Rachel

14 comments:

Sabrina DS said...

Thanks Nancy, awesome tips! I'll try them soon!

Stacey said...

Nancy rocked those flowers! Great tutorial.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are so pretty! What a great tutorial.

Donna said...

Great tutorial, I don't know why I didn't think of stamping on the petals. It is such a cool accent. Thanks for the great ideas and techniques.

sharon g said...

I'm SO glad that I decided to take the time to check this out. I had no idea I could add paint to water in a sprayer, stamp on flowers, etc. GREAT!!

Unknown said...

Hi I was wondering if you would maybe help out a struggling blogger in need I love your stuff and was hoping you could share my blog as I have shared some of your stuff on mine....http://craftyhousemom.blogspot.com/2012/06/source-uploaded-by-user-via-elisha-on.html#links

Unknown said...

fantastic ideas, thank you for sharing with us

AsilBlau said...

Were have you been all my life. lol

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing..
have a look of delicious gifts for thanksgiving.
http://www.chocolate-ninja.com

Unknown said...

Awesome tips! I came across your blog a few weeks ago and have been reading along. I'm loving it! Keep up the good mood.
Recently, a close friend of mine created a website and I would like to share it with you, as I think you would like it too. It's called The Birthday Times (thebirthdaytimes.com), and gives you the newspaper of the day of your birthday. It shows real events and facts of the day you were born. I already knew a few projects like this, but I think this one stands out a little bit from the rest.
So, here's my tip! :)
Thanks,
Regina

LeeBee said...

Awesome! Could you tell me if the spray ink works with latex paint also? Thanks! Love, love, LOVE your site!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas - love the 'spray paint'.

Michele Clarke said...

HI I saw your "spray" paint recipe on Pinterest. I have the same spray bottle. I tried this and it failed. It sprayed only once. I tried more water and shaking but it won't spray anymore. It was a new sprayer too.

Dinah said...

These are all really good ideas. I have such a hard time with embellishing my pages.

Heather @ www.craftcravings.com